Chase History

2015

Chase Brass celebrates its 50th year in business at the Montpelier, Ohio facility.

chase-50th

2014

Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc. elects John Wasz CEO; John Walker to continue as non-executive chairman

2013

Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc. is publicly traded on the NYSE under BRSS.

2011

Additional foundry capital investments for alloy production flexibility.

2007

Olin Corporation sells their metal business and Chase Brass to KPS Capital Partners, LP, which creates a newly formed company, Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc. under the leadership of John H. Walker, Chief Executive Officer of GBC.

2005

Chase has license agreement with Sambo Copper Alloy Co., Ltd (now known as Mitsubishi Shindoh, LTD) to sell ECO BRASS® C69300 and C87850.

Begin production of Green Dot® ECO BRASS® (C69300 alloy) to meet Federal and State lead regulations.

Chase sublicensed California Metal-X, Concast Metal Products, and Ingot Metal Company Limited.

2002

Olin Corporation purchases Chase Brass Industries.

2001

Leavitt Tube Company is sold to Pinkert Industrial Group, LLC.

2000

Testing is performed in January and production commenced in February at Chase’s new Blue Dot® Brass Rod foundry.

Completion of new extrusion and finish lines.

Chase initiates an interactive business to business website.

1999

The new Chase Brass foundry incorporates state-of-the-art systems technology operated from the newly installed control room overlooking the foundry’s high-tech horizontal casting equipment.

1997

Chase initiates Project 400, a three phase expansion program with the goal of achieving production capacity of more than 400 million pounds per year by 2002.

Chase Blue Dot Brass Rod is used in making many products including gauges on oxygen tanks used in the medical industry.

1996

Chase Industries acquires Leavitt Tube, producer of steel tubing.

1995

By the mid-90’s, Chase Brass was setting records for shipments, year-over-year.

1990

As worldwide demand increases, Chase takes advantage of growing global opportunities.

Martin V. Alonzo steps in as Chairman, President and CEO of Chase Industries and begins a decade of rapid growth for the company.

1982

As capacity increased, Chase Brass maintained its close focus on being a single product facility.

An important factor throughout the 80’s is the company’s ability to harness new equipment technologies to maximize efficient throughput and achieve optimum quality standards.

1981

The Blue Dot brand name is the predominant, preferred brand and is the standard of quality in the brass rod industry.  the Connecticut connection ended for good, and Chase exclusively produced brass rod from the Montpelier, Ohio plant.

1975

By the mid-1970’s, Chase’s brass is used in majority of brass construction fixtures.

1965

Construction of Chase’s new Montpelier plant is completed with initial capacity of 50 million pounds.  The new, state-of-the-art plant begins producing branded Blue Dot ® Brass Rod, recognized for exceeding industry quality specifications and establishing higher standards for manufacturing excellence.

1942

Specialties Division is closed, and Chase focuses on profitable commercial and industrial outlets.

1939

During WW II, the government called upon the expertise of Chase executives and technicians to direct the building of a brass mill and to operate it.  The mill was constructed on a site adjacent to the Babbitt Road Plant in Cleveland, and was known as the Euclid Case Plant.  It produced war materials including shell casings, gun barrel casing and timing devices, such as delay plungers.  Chase purchased the mill from the government after the war and named it the Upson Road Plant.

1929

Chase built their third brass mill in Cleveland, Ohio , which was known as the Babbitt Road Plant.  They manufactured brass rod, sheet and tubing. Chase Specialties Divisions dazzled consumers with metal novelties.

Chase Metal Works was purchased by Kennecott Copper Corp. and later renamed Chase Brass & Copper.

Chase becomes a leading supplier of brass components to the fast growing auto industry.

1928

The October 6th issue of the Saturday Evening Post featured an ad introducing Chase’s Centaur logo. Today, the Chase centaur is recognized worldwide as a symbol of product quality and industry leadership.

1927

Chase acquired the U.T. Hungerford Brass and Copper Company and its warehouses.

1921

Warehouses and sales offices are operating on both east and west coast.

1918

At the conclusion of WWI, the U.S. Government was Chase’s largest customer.

1910

Henry Chase builds a second brass mill; Chase Metal Works in Waterville, CT.

1896

Henry Sabin Chase succeeds his father as president and introduces the first brass rolling mill in Waterbury, CT in 1900.

The famous Chase Percherons were used to haul freight and materials.

1876

Augustus Sabin Chase joins several local businesses in acquiring the U.S. Button Company.  Chase becomes president.

The Company is incorporated as the Waterbury Manufacturing Company and continues to make buttons but expands their manufacturing to include lamps, bed, upholstery trimmings, harness ornaments and more.

1837

Hitchcock Button Manufacturing is founded and later renamed U.S. Button Company

Left to Right:  Phil Moody, VP – Supply Chain & Continuous Improvement;  Devin Denner, President; Tom Christie, VP – Sales & Marketing; and not pictured Ed Williams, VP – Manufacturing 

 

contact chase

chase_65

history_right

plant_construction

chase_55

mile_long_factory

old_factory

history_founders

coins